Project Goals and Objective
The purpose of this study is to evaluate alternatives to relieve congestion on Route 28 (Nokesville Road/Center Street/Church Street/Centreville Road) through the City of Manassas, the City of Manassas Park, and Yorkshire area of Prince William County and select a preferred alternative to be included in the County’s long range plans as well as Smart Scale prioritization consideration.
The Route 28 Corridor Feasibility Study has the following key objectives in addition to the project goal. Proposed alternatives will be evaluated and screened against these key objectives.
- Reduce congestion and improve network reliability on Route 28 from Godwin Drive through Historic Downtown Manassas to Liberia Avenue.
- Reduce congestion and improve network reliability on Route 28, Centreville Road – between Liberia Avenue and Compton Road.
- Facilitate the weekday peak period commuter flows between I-66 and the residential communities in Manassas Park, Manassas, and Prince William County.
- Provide increased opportunities for alternative modes of travel such as travel by bicycles, walking and carpooling/vanpooling.
- Provide improved access to transit facilities.
- Identify improvement project(s) that have public consensus.
- Identify improvement project(s) that avoid or minimize environmental impacts.
- Identify improvement project(s) that avoid or minimize impacts to existing development.
- Identify improvement project(s) that complement other Route 28 improvements currently being implemented by VDOT, Fairfax County, City of Manassas, City of Manassas Park, and Prince William County. These include:
- Widening of Route 28 to six lanes between Godwin Drive and Pennsylvania Avenue. Improvements include adding a dual-turn lane on northbound.
- Route 28 Phase III – Widening of Route 28 to a six-lane divided facility between Linton Hall Road and Pennsylvania Avenue.
- Widening of Route 28 to six lanes in Fairfax County between Bull Run and Route 29 including intersections improvements and pedestrian/bicycle facilities.
City of Manassas
Prince William County